Skip to main content

The Pair With French Flair

I am trying to whittle away at that stack of "to-do" pieces of furniture.  Amazing how quickly they accumulate and how much longer it takes to turn them into something usable.

This pair I picked up on the second day of an estate sale for half price. ($7.50 for the two)

Nice opportunity to do something different with the back.  I have an idea but I'll reveal that later.


Before I could begin painting I had to deal with this little elbow problem.


And this shin scrape.


Wood putty works miracles on issues like these.



I primed in this color because I already had this tinted primer and I'm trying to use things I have on hand to reduce the inventory.


In case you're wondering, I'm not trying to save the upholstery!  I plan to have these upholstered professionally and this back does not come out easily.  I'm just trying to paint without getting the upholstery stuck to the chair.




My top coat is a Devoe color called Woodsmoke.

When I finished the topcoat, I had a couple places where the paint was a little thick and I wanted to sand those parts.  Suddenly, this project took a turn.

Before I could stop myself, I was lightly distressing the entire chair.


I followed that up with a dark brown glaze that I mixed from a Martha Stewart brown I had on hand, a little glaze, and a squirt of dark brown pigment.  I applied it with a cheese cloth and wiped it off with another piece of wet cheese cloth.


Here they are side by side with the left one untouched and the right one distressed and glazed.  It's hard to see how different they look in this picture.


 

But it did make a huge difference.  And it works well with the fabric.  Speaking of the fabric.. I bought it months ago for two other chairs.



I planned to use it on this pair of chairs but I didn't think I had enough fabric.  So I went searching for a complimentary fabric that I thought I would use for piping.  I lucked out and found a solid fabric that was the very same as the background of the fabric I had.  Now I'm using both those pieces on a different pair of chairs.  Confused?  Me too!

This is the fabric.  The script is in a very dark brown.


I ordered it online.  I think it would have been fabulous on the handle backed chairs but...that is history.  We are moving on.


I decided to use the plain background fabric on the back of the chairs and stencil it with this pattern from The Stencil Library.


It is a 4 layer stencil but I am skipping the background and using the last two layers.

The last layer is just the three little cutouts in the first three letters.  It is meant to be used to repaint the background color after you stenciled the P,A, and R as solid.  But, because I was stenciling on fabric and not using a stencilled background, I needed to allow the fabric to show through.


I traced the 3 little cutouts onto contact paper and cut them out.


Trying to separate the backing from the sticky part can be next to impossible on such a tiny piece.  I finally figured out if I stuck a pin through the paper (non sticky) side and came up between the layers it was pretty simple.


I couldn't find an acrylic brown as dark as wanted so I added some black and also a textile medium.  (The medium might not have been necessary since this was not going to be clothing or something that needed to be laundered.)


My scientific plotting of the color I wanted.



Here you can see I pulled the contact paper off the letter "R" and my method was successful.

One down and one to go.  (This photo was taken in natural light is the true color.  Other photos were taken in my kitchen where it is impossible to get a shot that isn't yellowed.)

Now off to the upholsterer.

 Finally...I picked the chairs up from the upholsterer today.

Here they are as I unloaded them from the car.


And here they are from the back.


I was a little nervous as I drove to pick these up.  But, no regrets! I love how they turned out.

I brought them inside to take some closeups.


Now if I can sell my dining room set this weekend....


I can move on to the table I want to paint to go with these chairs.

I think it's time for something a little French.


If you are interested in this stencil for yourself, it is a click away.


I am linking to:  The Ivy Cottage
                           Primp
                           Savy Southern Style
                           No Minimalist Here
                           The Vintage Farmhouse

Comments

  1. The chairs are just beautiful! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a wonderful job on these chairs, they are so pretty! Now following you, would love for you to visit and follow me too :)

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job Tricia, I have linked to your post from The Stencil Library Facebook page and from our blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love LOVE love your chairs! You did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how awesome! You did a fabulous job!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness...these chairs are just flat wonderful! I love them!Could you tell me where you found the script fabric? Maybe we have a store somewhere here in Texas!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love everything about those chairs! What a great find and great vision!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tricia, I'm you newest follower! Came over from Helen's blog. LOVE these chairs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous, Tricia! I love the shape of them and I can't believe you got them for $7.50! Love your fabric choices and the stencil you used on the back. What a fabulous makeover.

    visiting from WUW : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! They're gorgeous, Tricia!!!!! LUV!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those chairs turned out awesome! You got a great deal on them to begin with too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those chairs are fabulous. I love the script fabric and the Eiffel tower on the back. Also, your upholsterer did a really great job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a